Tax Advice

When is a tax refund not good news?

13 Jun 2016

You’re due a tax refund from HMRC – happy days, right?

Maybe, but the truth is that a tax refund can be something of a mixed blessing. Here’s why.

Why might someone receive a tax refund?

As the name suggests, a tax refund is the repayment of some of the tax that was previously paid to HMRC by a taxpayer, either because the tax was overpaid, or because the tax bill was correct but subsequent business losses have been offset against the former tax liability.

It’s this second possibility that can give a tax refund a bit of a sour note, but let’s take a look at the other one first.

Tax refund for overpaid self assessment

There are a number of reasons an employee or self-employed sole trader may have overpaid tax. For example, an employee may have been assigned the wrong tax code, or may still be on an emergency tax code if they failed to give their new employer the P45 from their previous job.

Bad Tax Return 1

For self-employed sole traders, an overpayment of tax can occur if they have made advance payments to HMRC (known as Payments on Account) that turn out to be larger than their tax bill, or if they made Payments on Account but subsequently left self-employment to take up a salaried job.

In both cases, the overpayment of tax should result in a tax refund after the end of the tax year.

Tax refunds from trading losses

The other occasion where a taxpayer, specifically a self-employed taxpayer, might be entitled to a tax refund is when they have paid the correct amount of tax in the past, but since then their business has suffered trading losses.

These losses can be carried forward to reduce future tax bills. Alternatively, losses can be carried back to be offset against previous tax bills, or carried sideways to be offset against other income (for example, if a sole trader also has a salaried job).

Carrying a loss back or sideways can result in a tax refund, since the loss may be offset against tax that has already been paid (in previous tax years in the case of losses carried back, or via PAYE in the current tax year in the case of losses carried sideways).


While the resulting tax refund from HMRC may taste sweet to a taxpayer, the sour note is due to the inescapable fact that the refund has arisen because their business has suffered a loss.

An example

A sole trader with expenses that exceed his or her sales will have no income tax liability during that accounting period, since the business hasn’t turned a profit. If the business has been trading for a number of years and made a profit in previous years it can also choose to carry the remainder of the loss back to offset against prior years’ profits, resulting in a refund of some of the tax paid in those years. Losses can be carried back up to three years.

It’s always nice to receive a healthy chunk of money into your account, but it’s not so nice if the money comes because your business is struggling – for example, if your sales are in decline. 

Tax Refund Due To Declining Sales

However, there’s one situation where the loss in our example may be easier to stomach. If a business is not experiencing declining sales, but suffers a loss because it invests heavily in allowable expenses that will help fuel the growth of the business (for example, a high profile advertising campaign, PR campaign or other marketing expenses), then the resulting tax refund may not taste sour at all…in fact, to a small business owner with a fast-growing business and a strong pipeline of new business the refund from the taxman may taste particularly sweet.

Tax Refund Due To Increase In Allowable Expenses

Chris Conway


Managing Director, Accountant & Corporate Finance Specialist

0207 043 4000

About the author

Chris joined Accounts and Legal as Managing Director in November 2015. Chris’s primary role is ensuring the firm runs smoothly on a daily basis, supporting the growth of its entrepreneurial clients and delivering the firm’s own ambitious growth objectives. 

Having qualified as a Chartered Accountant (ICAEW) in general practice with a Top 20 firm in 2010, Chris quickly chose to specialise in corporate finance. During his 5 years Chris worked on over 70 transactions involving SME’s, from company valuations and restructures to substantial equity and debt fundraisings. He also advised on the sale and purchases of businesses, both to trade buyers and financial investors, providing advisory and due diligence services.


We can help you grasp opportunities


If you’re self-employed and thinking of starting a business, we can help plan ahead and get your accounts in order. We are full-service accountants offering tax and accounting support from bookkeeping to business plans, and payroll to tax-efficient investment advice.


Call us today or get an instant quote for our services!