Tax Advice

Staff clothing & workwear: A guide to uniform tax

03 Jan 2022

If you issue employees with any kind of staff clothing, uniform or workwear that is essential for their work and is clearly identified with a company logo, both you and your employees may enjoy tax benefits. 

HMRC provides strict guidelines on what qualifies as workwear, so it’s essential to make sure the clothing meets their criteria before making any claims for a uniform tax rebate.  

In this guide to uniform tax, our accountants explain the criteria for tax-deductible staff clothing and workwear, the type of tax deductions that are available, and how your business and your employees can claim them. 

HMRC’s uniform tax definition

This is HMRC’s definition of a uniform that qualifies for tax rebates:

“A deduction can be permitted for clothing that is recognisably a uniform or part of a uniform, where the employee is required by his or her duties to wear it and must bear the cost of it. A uniform in this context means a set of clothing of a specialised nature that is recognisable as a uniform and is intended to identify its wearer as having a particular occupation.”

“Fixing a permanent and conspicuous badge to what would otherwise be ordinary clothing may be enough to make it a uniform, but each case must be considered on its merits. The essential test is whether the employee would readily be recognised as wearing a uniform by the person in the street. A detachable badge is not sufficient to make the clothing to which it is attached part of a uniform.”

Although HMRC quote police or nursing outfits as examples of recognisable uniforms, the tax benefits are not limited to specific uniforms. Workwear for carpenters, builders, mechanics and plumbers, for example, qualifies for tax uniform tax rebates. Staff working in stores or delivering goods may be required to wear specific, identifiable clothing such as polo shirts or hi-viz jackets with the company logo. 

In that context, staff clothing refers to garments that an employee is required to wear to carry out their duties within work hours. HMRC also stress that these garments can only qualify for uniform tax rebates if they are wholly and exclusively for business purposes

“You may be able to claim tax relief on the cost of:

  • cleaning, repairing or replacing specialist clothing (for example, a uniform or safety boots)


You cannot claim relief on the initial cost of buying clothing for work.”


Uniform tax exclusions 

Although HMRC is very specific about the types of uniform or workwear that qualify for treatment under uniform tax, a number of cases have ended up in court as there are grey areas within HMRC’s definition. 

However, there are clear examples that will not meet HMRC’s criteria. For example, if an employee is required to wear clothing in a specific colour, such as a blue shirt or dress matching corporate colours, that would not qualify. 

If an employee only wears a suit or tie at work, that would not meet HMRC’s criteria. If builders working for a company wear their own unbranded clothing on site, they cannot claim for cleaning, repairing or replacing it. 

Implications of uniform tax for employers

If you provide staff clothing, uniforms or workwear to your employees, you have a number of tax, National Insurance and reporting obligations related to the expenditure. 

You won’t have to pay Corporation Tax or make National Insurance Contributions, although you may be able to claim tax relief in the form of allowable business expenditure. 

You must report any expenditure made by the business if you purchase, lend, clean or repair qualifying staff clothing to HMRC. Use form P11D to report the expenditure as benefits to the employee. 

However, if employees buy their own qualifying staff clothing and you reimburse them, your expenditure is covered by an HMRC exemption and you do not have to report it. 

If you reimburse employees who pay, clean, repair or replace their qualifying staff clothing, you must deduct PAYE tax and Class 1 National Insurance contributions as a benefit to the employee. 

Click here to download and print form P11D


Uniform tax rebates for employees 

Employees can claim uniform tax rebates for the cost of cleaning, repairing or replacing qualifying staff clothing if they pay the costs themselves and do not receive reimbursement from the employer. However, according to the HMRC website, you cannot claim for the cost of the initial purchase of the clothing. 

Additionally, qualifying uniform expenditure cannot be regular clothes, it has to be for clothing that is recognisably a uniform or part of a uniform, where the employee is required by his or her duties to wear it and must bear the cost of it.

The simplest way for employees to calculate the value of a uniform tax rebate is to use HMRC’s flat rate allowance.  HMRC provides a list of allowances for employees in different industries, but if an employee does not fit into a specific category, the recommended allowance is £60 per annum. 

The rebate is paid at a rate equivalent to the employee’s income tax rate – 20 percent for basic-rate taxpayers and 40 percent for higher-rate taxpayers. Employees can backdate claims for the flat rate allowance for up to 4 years. 

If an employee claims the flat rate allowance, they do not have to keep itemised receipts for the expenditure. However, they can also claim the exact cost from HMRC. In that case they must keep valid receipts. 

HMRC provides the rebate by adjusting an employee’s PAYE code for the current tax year, which will increase the employee’s take-home pay. 

If the employee submits any backdated claims, HMRC will either adjust the PAYE code for the current year or provide a refund. 

Read More: How to avoid VAT when buying a van for business

Read More: What are benefits in kind? Definition & tax guide

Support from Accounts and Legal 

Understanding all the rules and limitations on uniform tax claims can be complicated and time-consuming. Our team of small business accountants and solicitors are highly-experienced in helping small businesses with the preparation of claims and declarations for uniform tax rebates. For more tax advice, click here

Get in touch with us today for further advice on 0207 043 4000 or You can also get an instant accounting quote here.  

Read More: Self Assessment: Self-employed allowable expenses

Chris Barnard


Head Accountant in Brighton

0127380 8000

About the author

Hello there! My name is Chris.

Since graduating with a business degree over 12 years ago I have been helping businesses grow, by sorting their finances and providing great advice. In 2014 I became a Chartered Certified accountant and have worked in various sized accountancy firms, from traditional top 20, to up and coming online accountants.

This resulted in 2015 being recognised in Accountancy Age's 35 under 35 and a year later in 2016 awarded the New Practitioner of Year, at the British Accountancy awards.

I specialise in helping fast growing businesses get a grip with their accounting, tax and financial processes. It can be a minefield, with an endless count of buzzwords and acronyms. 

I help drive efficiencies and business performance through the latest software, and face to face proactive support. Here are a few areas I can help you and your business:

- Help digitise business records in one central location. These are instantly accessible and you'll see a raft of benefits. 

- Deliver and explain business insights on how your business is performing against targets / previous performance

- Create business forecasts to help management cashflow issues or help get funding from a range stakeholders.

- Provide expert tax planning to  companies and individuals to ensure you never receive an unexpected bill from HMRC.

- Access to industry changes and developments before they are live


We can help you grasp opportunities


If you’re self-employed and thinking of starting a business, we can help plan ahead and get your accounts in order. We are full-service accountants offering tax and accounting support from bookkeeping to business plans, and payroll to tax-efficient investment advice.


Call us today or get an instant quote for our services!